Submersible pumps are, as the name would suggest, pumps that can be fully submersed in fluid. They are often referred to as ESP’s or “Electronic Submersible Pumps.” One of the main advantages of a submersible pump, besides the obvious, is that they are not prone to cavitation. Cavitation only happens when there is a high disparity between the elevations of the pump and the fluid surface.
When compared to jet pumps, submersible pumps are more efficient because they push water instead of pulling it. This requires less power to do more work. To ensure their safety and integrity when submersed in water, the motors of submersible pumps are hermetically sealed within the casings of the pumps. This configuration makes sure that no electrical components are exposed to water or other liquids.
Most Popular Applications for Submersible Pumps
While the most popular application for these pumps will probably always be pumping water out of a basement, they are still used in many industries for many different applications.
- Pumping Sewage: The most efficient way to pump out a septic tank is with a submersible pump. The fluid is transferred, first into a hose, then to storage tanks and finally to a treatment facility.
- Industrial Pumping: These pumps are also used to pump water out of flooded basements at construction sites or from other work sites.
- Oil Industry: These pumps are used to pump oil from under the ground to treatment and holding facilities that are situated above ground.
- Borehole Pumps/Deep Well Drilling: In situations where you have to drill deep for water at your residence, the best solution is often a submersible borehole pump. Borehole pumps have the ability to pump water from deep underground into holding tanks for transfer into the home.
- Irrigation Systems: These pumps can be used to power irrigation systems for industrial or agricultural use.
Our Choice: Tsurumi Submersible Pumps
For most applications, our submersible pumps of choice are manufactured by Tsurumi. They are from Osaka and are known as the finest submersible pumps in the world. Call Pump Solutions Australasia today to learn more: 1300 793 418.